Receive the latest news and emergency alerts from the Truckee Police Department by email & text message through Nixle.
Nixle sign-up: https://nixle.com/register/
THE LOCAL TRUCKEE ANIMAL SHELTER HAS EXTREMELY LIMITED CAPACITY AND SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A LAST RESORT DURING EVACUATION FOR DOMESTIC ANIMALS WITH NO OTHER SAFE OPTIONS.
- Make sure your pet has a current I.D. tag and collar.
- Have your pet Microchipped. Microchips are FREE to pets of residents of the Town of Truckee. How to get a FREE Microchip for your pet
- Have a list of supplies that you will need in the event you and your pet are evacuated. List of emergency supplies
- If you need to evacuate- TAKE YOUR ANIMALS WITH YOU! It is simply too dangerous to leave companion animals unattended during natural disasters. The best way to ensure the safety of your pets is to evacuate with them.
- Contact your veterinarian for a list of preferred boarding kennels and facilities.
- Identify hotels or motels outside of your immediate area that accept pets.
- Ask friends and relatives outside your immediate area if they would be willing to take in your pet.
Links to more resources to create your pet emergency plan: