How do I file a traffic accident report?
It is the policy of the Truckee Police Department to complete a traffic collision report under the following circumstances:
• The traffic collision occurred within the Town of Truckee limits.
• A person involved in the traffic collision has been injured (complaint of pain is considered injury) or dies.
• One of the drivers is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
• One of the drivers has fled the location without stopping to exchange information or check on the welfare of the other parties involved.
• Town property is involved (Town vehicle, light post, signal post, etc.)
If any of the above conditions are met at the scene of a traffic collision, the Truckee Police Department should be notified in one of the following manners: 9-1-1 (in case of an emergency).
If it's not an emergency, use the dispatch telephone number (530) 550-2320.
In addition to filing a traffic collision report with the Truckee Police Department, it may also be necessary to file Department of Motor Vehicles Form SR-1A: www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/formsaccident
Visit the Department of Motor Vehicles web page for more information on state reporting requirement for traffic collisions: www.dmv.ca.gov
If the traffic collision was property damage only and none of the special conditions mentioned above exists, you may file a “Counter Report” at the lobby of the Truckee Police Department located at 10183 Truckee Airport Rd Truckee, CA Hours: Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM. The report should be made as soon as possible. The person reporting the collision needs to bring along the following information:
• The time and location (street address/cross streets) where the collision occurred.
• The license plate number of the vehicle he or she was driving when they were involved in the traffic collision.
• Driver’s license
• Insurance information (name of the insurance company and their policy number).
• The names, addresses, and phone numbers of all passengers in their vehicle
• If known, the license plate numbers, names, addresses, and phone numbers of all other involved drivers and passengers.